Were Kenya’s Prayers Answered


Growing up and beginning school marked a change in my life. I remember little about my childhood, but I recall the numerous times, we stood at the assembly and sang the Kenyan National Anthem. I did not know what much of it stood for and I often sang because it was mandated by the school system. I even joined the scout's team and would recite it heartily. Well, today, I have gone back to my roots. I have gone back to the words I used to sing aloud at the assembly. The words I used to recite while holding a salute to the flag, not flinching but respecting every bit of it. Not because it is mandated, but because it is my country, Kenya’s flag. I have meditated and nibbled upon it, only to realize that it is a prayer. It has never crossed my mind as one and realizing this truth in my late twenties, shows the absence of patriotism in my heart. I am a Kenyan, yeah, but this appalls me on several levels and I desire to change it.


I was looking for something to talk to my Lord about, today being a Sunday. Recalling a recent request by a friend to pray for Kenya, the words of the National Anthem flooded my thoughts and I started reciting them bit by bit. Beginning at “Oh God of all creation,” I realize that Kenya is a land with recognition for a deity. Kenya believes in a Creator, who is God. Whereas the English version refers to Him as the Creator, the Swahili version refers to Him as the Nation’s strength, “Eh Mungu nguvu yetu.” I find comfort in the Swahili version being that the strength is needed to prevail against the evil that so easily besets us. Kenya recognizes its weakness against unseen foes, both spiritual and physical, and calls to one Mighty than her for strength. But the Swahili version alone does not do for it gains more strength when mingled with the English version. As I ponder upon the thought that God the Creator is Kenya’s strength, I find the patriotism for the country deeply rooted in spirituality.
Close by, I find the request, “Bless this our land and nation” that is similar in the Swahili and English version. To me, it’s a plea, recognition that Kenya is barren without the blessings from Her God. The land cannot sustain its children without the intervention of God, and hunger, both spiritual and physical, will most likely ravage the country if the blessing is not received. We will till and sow, but another will reap, we will strive but the ground will not yield forth its fruit, we will work hard, but the fruits of our labor will be meaningless. If the hand of God is not upon Kenya to bless Her, the devourer will roam around freely with no one to rebuke. Kenya realizes that it has no power over the devourer and still needs a mighty one than itself for security. Without the blessings, the army, the navy, the coast guard, or the police do nothing and are mere ceremonial strengths. We will lose every war, physical, spiritual, or military if the hand of God is not upon us for good. We will never prosper if the blessings of the Lords do not pour out on us.
Down the line, I find the phrase, “Justice be our shield and defender.” Kenya recognizes that against evil, justice is Her shield and defense. The poor, the rich, the downtrodden, the wealthy, the heartbroken, the hurting, the weak, the frail, the old, the young and the infants all look up to justice as their defense. Justice, which if so easily perverted brings unmentionable ills to the society. The justice of God is engrained in Her judicial systems and Kenya recognizes that the source of right and wrong can only stream from God. So She exercises Her judicial mandate as one with a responsibility handed from God. It is not a thing of human conception, but She believes in divine inspiration and understanding of justice as Her shield and defense. Kenya relinquishes Her sovereign rights at the feet of the Almighty God and cries out, I know not the way, show me. Apportion me my lot that I will keep with Your strength for alone, I cannot do it. Set the boundaries Ooh Lord, for you alone are impartial. In your justice, Kenya cries out, I will find the strength of impartial governance.
“May we dwell in unity, peace, and liberty,” draws from the previous assertion that where justice reigns, the three are found. Kenya realizes that justice is the foundation of Her unity and the people cannot be brought together where injustice is King. A house that stands together cannot fall and Kenya cannot war against herself for divided She falls. She cries out, God, keep injustice away from me and let peace dwell within my midst as everybody gets their fair share of justice. Be impartial in apportioning us liberty according to your justice. The rights of each individual deserve to be respected as outlined by your justice for my faulty thinking cannot allow me to judge righteously. With the three bonds tied down by your justice, I will always be fair to my children and I will have the wisdom to rule over the millions of people you have laid in my hands. Do not deny me this Lord, or else I will crumble to my fall, and will be the reproach and shame of my children, my neighbors, and my confidants. Make me the vessel of your invisible works that you, My God, may receive the glory due to Your Name.
Closing up is the request that “Plenty be found within our borders.” Here Kenya relinquishes all limits and recognizes the limitless nature of God and implores on Him to shower her with opportunities for all. No stranger should ever approach Kenya for help and go back empty handed. Kenya implores on her Creator and Strength to provide for her beyond her limited imagination. Kenya banks on this one hope for her children, her neighbors, and partners that they may always find something to take back. Kenya recognizes that her children should not be limited by physical and spiritual incapacities, but should always find refuge in the plenty provided for by Her God. I am barren, yes, but I can break forth into singing, knowing that you have provided plenty for my sons and daughters, the generations to come and the generations of the generations to come. Bless my boundaries Ooh God, let me be the envy of all the nations that they may know that My Maker and Creator is My Husband. Let them know you through me, let me be Your letter that other countries can read, let me the model of faithfulness, justice, and dependence upon God that all other nations can follow suit.
As I lower down my salute, I realize that I have often saluted to a sovereign flag while reciting a prayer. Kenyan patriotism has spiritual roots beyond my wildest imagination, but the state of Kenya at present leaves a lot to question. Have Her prayers been answered or did she forsake Her Husband and keep a form a godliness and governance that does not embrace the power of Her Maker. Are the children hurting and forsaken because their mother has left her husband to fornicate with foreign gods. The injustice that floods the country, the violence that so easily besets Her, the apportioning of justice to the highest bidder, most influential and wealthier persons, all do not resemble Her Maker. The depth of hunger among its children, the unlimited impact of the devourer in wasting away all the fruits of Her labor, and the over-flooding of unseen foes, both spiritual and physical, into her heart and the hearts of Her Children are saddening. The absence of strength to counter Her evil foes or her Husband to rebuke the devourer for the sake of Her Husband’s name is striking.
Corruption is reaping where Kenya sows, She strives but the ground does not yield its fruit despite all the sweat, and the fruits of labor have truly become meaningless. The security is a lapse and she bitterly serves her enemies, as if she has been driven away from the presence of her Husband and Maker. She is destitute and losing all, prosperity and plenty have become things to find in neighboring countries to which its children flee. Infants can no longer get the justice due to them, the courts have been left to the mighty and wealthy. The frail, the heartbroken, the weak, the orphans and the widows have no one to turn to. The source of right and wrong has been discarded in favor of perverted thinking and influential persons. She no longer sees her responsibility to her citizens as a task from God, She is swallowed with pride even when She and Her children suffer. She has chased her lovers, who have perverted her shield and defense and She now relies on the might of Her military for strength, rather than God. She also relies on the learned in her judicial courts, rather than the wisdom of God her Husband. She has taken up impartial governance as Her strength; for proof, visit the courts, the prison systems, the enforcement systems and see how corruption dictates Her operations.
Peace, unity, and liberty that were to exist where justice reigned are no more. We are no longer the children of one mother, but a people divided by wealth, class, religion, and politics. Divided, She is falling as Injustice has crowned itself king even where She once reigned with Her Husband on one throne. Injustice has dethroned Kenya and peace cannot be found despite calls for it. Without Her Maker and Her Husband to rely on for strength, security and impartial justice, She falls at the mercy of Her foes. Liberty is curtailed as She seeks profits rather than observe the rights of her people according to the justice of God. She can no longer be fair to Her children and like the Ostrich, which lacks wisdom, She steps on them without regard that they are Hers. She has quickly become a shame of Her children, Her neighbors, and Her confidants. She is no longer a vessel of the invisible works of Her Husband and Maker, but a reproach that is tarnishing the name of Her Husband. Leaders are elected, but it is each of Her child for him or herself.
The plenty that was to be found within the borders has diminished. She has become a land of limited opportunities, where the children tarmac day along and spend their days in parks before returning home in the evening, weary and often without a place to lay their heads. Her children have turned to the streets, to beg and plead for someone to listen. Her children have turned to the sale of their flesh for the hunger outside and the sword in the desert ravages on. Nobody has a place to lay their heads anymore. Like the Son of Man says, foxes have holes and the birds of the heaven have nests, but the Son of Man does not have a place where He may lay His head.  So do the children of Kenya mirror the Son of Man, with no place to lay their heads or dens to reside in, they have become creatures of the night. “Ngeta” has become the norm, theft a vice that if you do not practice, you can never make it. Prostitution is glamorous, if you ain’t into it, you are behind. We have become like our Mother who deserted Her Husband and we too as children have deserted Him, who is our Creator and Father.
We, as children, have exchanged our souls for bread for the boundaries are no longer flooded with plenty. We fear for our generations and seek refuge in other countries. We are not the envy of all nations as all media are quick to report on Our Mother’s sorry state for She trusted and believed in Her Maker, whom She has deserted. She is gossiped about in the media and any single mishap receives attention, ever asked why. Her reproach is a thing to speak about, her fall a thing that Her Foes can glory about. Once the sovereign flag was saluted with respect, but it has only become ceremonial, no longer having the marrow of Her Husband’s influence and power that she once did. She is blinded and cannot see, and so are her children. But at last, there is hope, an anchor on which she Has fallen. Her Husband, Strength, and Creator who formed Her has vowed that He will be angry at Her no more. I will be with thee, For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Savior. Since you are precious in my sight, since you are honored and I love you, I will give other men in your place and other peoples in exchange for your life.
The Lord tells Her, Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and gather you from the west. I will say to the north, 'Give them up!' And to the south, 'Do not hold them back.' Bring My sons from afar and My daughters from the ends of the earth and let the people be assembled. Let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is the truth. Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before Me, there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. Even from eternity I am He, and there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it? Thus says the LORD Her Redeemer, I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King, Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
These people have I formed for myself; they shall show forth my praise. Yet you have not called on Me, O Kenya; But you have become weary of Me, O Kenya. You have not brought to Me the sheep of your burnt offerings, Nor have you honored Me with your sacrifices. I have not burdened you with offerings, nor wearied you with incense. You have bought Me not sweet cane with money, Nor have you filled Me with the fat of your sacrifices; Rather you have burdened Me with your sins. "I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins. Put Me in remembrance, let us argue our case together; State your cause, that you may be proved right. Your first forefather sinned, And your spokesmen have transgressed against Me. Therefore, I have profaned the princes of the sanctuary, and have given Kenya to the curse, and to reproaches.

But, “Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no child; Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD. Enlarge the place of your tent; Stretch out the curtains of your dwellings, spare not; Lengthen your cords and strengthen your pegs. For you will spread abroad to the right and to the left. And your descendants will possess nations and will resettle the desolate cities. Fear not, for you will not be put to shame; and do not feel humiliated, for you will not be disgraced; But you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your husband is your Maker, Whose name is the LORD of hosts; and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth. “For the LORD has called you, like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit. Even like a wife of one's youth when she is rejected," Says your God. For a brief moment I forsook Kenya, but with great compassion, I will gather Her. In an outburst of anger I hid My face from Kenya for a moment, But with everlasting lovingkindness I will have compassion on Her," Says the LORD your Redeemer.

Comments